Author Topic: Oracle / Config Server help  (Read 5304 times)

Offline Dionysis

Oracle / Config Server help
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:11 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a lab system on a vmware image.  Sounds simple enough doesn't it.

In my new job we'll be using Oracle, so I'd like my lab setup to use the same.  Now, I've installed the database, config server and dbserver.  But I'm getting an error when the config server tries to read the database.  I have zero oracle experience by the way.

The error I get is:

Oracle: id='294.1' req='55' Protocols versions: dbclient='00010003' dbserver='00010003' dblib='00010003'
+0000  Open DB: username = 'genesys', database = 'GENESYS_CFG', dbserver = 'gcti1'
+0172  ocierror: ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA

I can change this to be TNS: no listener by changing the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files to have 127.0.0.1 instead of host names.  I think I have a listener service running, at least I can see a service called "OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener" that is running.  And I can connect to the database using the SQL tools that are included with the oracle install.

I'm sure I've missed something in the install but can't for the life of me figure it out.

Anyone know where I've gone wrong?

Offline ecki

Re: Oracle / Config Server help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
Hi,

Try this link http://www.dbmotive.com/oracle_error_codes.php?errcode=12504
Or then ask Mr.Google. There are plenty of suggestions.

Cheers.

e.

Offline Dionysis

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »
I've spent the better part of yesterday googling and tweaking settings and am pretty sure I've tried everything. 

The problem I think may be linked to my install and the fact that the VM has a DHCP address.  I'm going to ditch the install and start again today with a static IP.

:)

Offline Dionysis

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 06:16:17 AM »
Well after a reinstall of the OS, Oracle, and the config/db server I still get the same message.

I'm sure it's an Oracle setting that I've set incorrectly but since I'm not a DBA I have no idea what.

Offline borkokrz

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »
I think something is wrong with the listener or tnsnames.ora. Look at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a95491/create.htm - maybe it will help you.

Offline Dionysis

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:27:35 AM »
Figured it out, thanks borkokrz, after reading that link I then managed to find the answer in the DBServer manual.

the tnsnames.ora wasn't quite right.

Offline borkokrz

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »
So what it was ?

Offline Dionysis

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »
I had the name of the database in the tnsnames.ora file where it should have been the name of the listener.  The confserv.cfg file also needs to refer to the name of the listener instead of the host name.

Having never worked with Oracle before this still makes no sense to me, but it works now so I'm not going to mess with it. :)